Saturday, March 14, 2009

"In Praise of Rapturous Truth" Herzog's 'Encounters' and Roger Ebert

Between last night and this morning, I watched Herzog's latest (I think?) documentary Encounters at the End of the World (I always want to add 'Close' to the beginning). It is a lovely film with such a clear vision from Herzog; he believes in what he is saying, showing, and sharing with the audience. It has real depth, and unless you are yourself a single-celled organism like the ones the deep sea scientists are studying at the bottom of the ice-topped ocean, you will be moved. At first glance I, like many I think, thought it would be an apocalyptic warning film about the rapid destruction of nature, but it is actually more about the people and their reaction to the harshness of the Antarctic landscape, and more importantly how, in most cases, it was their reaction to the harshness of the modern world elsewhere that brought them there in the first place.

I hated for the film to end, but when it did I noticed on the black end title screen the words 'Dedicated to Roger Ebert' and I was like, huh? So I googled it and he really meant it and it opened up this whole story about how Roger Ebert has been really sick with cancer these past few years and probably won't be around much longer. If you have never seen Ebert's film Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, I highly recommend it (written by Ebert, directed by Russ Meyer). He is also probably the best film critic around, whose reviews you can trust.

This was my favorite part. It made me cry.



Here are a few pics from one of my favorite Herzog films (I can't choose), Cobra Verde starring the wonderful KLAUS KINSKI.




AHHHH!!

Coincidence! He looks like another wildman I know named LBK ('07 blog link featuring the Tetris Dorm).

No comments:

Post a Comment